Thursday, November 20, 2014

Reflections on the Challenge, The Sequel

Accepting the 9x9x25 challenge for a second year was interesting. It was easier; it was harder; it revealed the same personal weaknesses; it highlighted some growing strengths.

Torn Real Paper Scraps On Black Background - stock photoI found it easier to sit down to the computer to write. I felt much more confident in having a voice and having something worthwhile to share. I still faced the looming deadlines and found myself posting on Sunday mornings. Even though it was easier to start typing, I still needed plenty of time to mull, review, edit, revise, mull, sweat, polish. The germ of an idea might come the prior week, but my inspiration took a lot of molding and shaping. I kept scraps of paper in my car, on my desk, and on the bedside nightstand to record any shimmer of an ephemeral idea. (I always appear to be far more profound to myself at 3:00 in the morning. Be thankful that many of those little scraps found their way into the nearest garbage can!)

Even though the ideas did eventually take root in my brain, I found that some of my driving passions carried over from last year. I caught myself repeating themes about students and reading. At times, I struggled to come up with a new topic that had nothing to do with reading or writing. Hence, I attacked dual enrollment one week and fear of my own teaching boredom another. The venture into voicing my views on dual enrollment proved rewarding because I could take the time to ponder my position on an ongoing issue we face in higher ed. It wasn't until I started to type that I could flesh out my concerns and add meat to my arguments.

As was true last year, there is no good time for writing during the semester for me.  I am thankful for the challenge, for the deadlines, and for the rewards (Kudos, Todd, for all the goodies!). And I appreciated the break from the routine post one week to spend time responding to others' posts. Even so, I really did try to read everyone's posts every week, and it was strange to think that I didn't know if anyone was reading my posts. I especially enjoyed examining how many of us repeaters grew in our writing abilities and skills. Enforced practice created greater fluency for us all.

In the crunch for time this year, I had to focus more on writing and polishing the post than on finding sources for cool links and images. So, yeah, in desperation I resorted to copy-and-pasting stock images--how dull! That was disappointing for me; so much for being flashy and innovative.

Ah well, when in doubt, just "git 'er done!" and smile for the camera with thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment